Tuesday 16 August 2016

Recipe: bread rolls

As my kids love burgers and hotdogs, just like any other kid :-), I sometimes make some rolls for burgers or hotdogs for them to have with their burgers or hotdogs.
Now this is not really a very good traditional, full of nutrition, recipe, but for special days I find that it serves as a good compromise. It has taken me quite a bit of experimentation to get to this recipe. The worst ingredient is white flour, the rest is actually not bad at all.

As for the ingredients, the sucanat that I use can be substituted with maple syrup, that would really taste nice. The butter can be substituted with bacon fat, which would be really tasty, especially when the sucanat is  substituted with maple syrup, just imagine the taste. The suggestions for substitutions are below the recipes.

Origin: my home

Difficulty: easy
Time: a couple of hours
Serves: a crowd
Yield: 16 pieces 
Vegetarian

Equipment: I like doing this with my bread baking machine as it frees time up for me to do other stuff, but of course it is totally possible to do by hand. You'll need:
  • oven
  • bread baking machine or
  • kitchen machine or
  • bowl and hands


Ingredients:
  • 6 grams / 2 heaped teaspoons instant yeast (I use Doves farm yeast)
  • 2 tablespoons sucanat (I use Biona sucanat), maple syrup or such
  • 690 grams / 5.5 cups / 1.5 pounds organic plain white flour (I use Doves farm plain white flour, bulk)
  • 1.5 teaspoons celtic sea salt (I use Le Guerandais Coarse Sea Salt)
  • 57 grams / 2 oz butter (I use Isigny Sainte-Mère butter, which I purchase at Costco), you can also use lard, beef drippings, ghee or such.
  • 375 ml, 1.5 cups / 13 fl oz milk
  • 1 egg


Directions:
  • When using a bread baking machine, put it all in in the order that I used and turn it on on the dough cycle. The bread baking machine will do all the rising and such, so you can right away move onto shaping the buns once the machine is done.
  • When using the kitchen machine, put it all in the bowl and turn the machine on, until you have a smooth dough
  • When doing it by hand, put it all in the bowl and knead until you have a smooth dough.
  • Let the dough stand for about 30 minutes to rise and relax.
  • Divide the dough into 12 (for larger rolls) or 16 (for smaller rolls) bits of dough, as equal as possible
  • Shape into either a rond (for burgers) or oval (for hotdogs) roll.
  • Put them on your baking sheet, they can be somewhat close, it doesn't hurt when they rise onto each other and get baked while touching.
  • If you like you can put some egg wash on them and top them with sesame seed or poppy seeds.
  • Let them rise for 25 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 200C / 400F.
  • Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.


Possible substitutions:
  • dairy - coconut milk
  • butter - coconut oil, tallow, lard, bacon fat, etc.
  • sugar - maple syrup, honey


No comments:

Post a Comment