Tuesday 23 August 2016

Recipe: Sourdough waffles

Usually on Mondays we eat sourdough waffles for breakfast. The kids love them. They are very tasty. I learned how to make these from the Gnowfglins sourdough e-course. And ever since I learned them I have been making them. It is a great way to use sourdough starter. My starter lives on my counter and I use my starter quite frequently, most days actually.
To the right you find a picture of one of my waffles this morning. This morning we had ripe bananas so I had banana and whipped cream as my toppings. Very tasty. 

Origin: Europe

Difficulty: easy
Time: half an hour
Serves: 6
Yield: 12 pieces 
Traditional, Vegetarian

Equipment:
  • bowl
  • waffle iron
Ingredients:
  • 500 ml sourdough starter
  • 4 tbsp melted butter, coconut or so
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt (I use Le Guerandais sea salt)
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tbsp sweetener
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (I use home made - you can use other flavourings if you prefer)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp water
Toppings:
  • maple syrup, sucanat or so
  • fruit, such as raspberries, apples, black berries, cherries, strawberries or which ever you like.
  • melted chocolate
  • whipped cream
  • yoghurt
  • fried bacon bits
  • cheese melted on top
  • fried mushroom slices
  • fried onion slices
  • crispy nuts
  • desiccated coconut
  • you can use spices in your batter or top your waffles with them. I like using cinnamon on top, but really the sky is the limit.
Directions:
  • First plug in your waffle iron. Because you want it to be hot and ready to go when you have mixed up your batter. Mixing up the batter goes really fast. Most of the time my waffle iron has not fully heated up yet when my batter is done, but it is close to being there.
  • In your bowl mix the sourdough starter, the melted butter, the sea salt, eggs, sweetener and vanilla extract together with a whisk.
  • Put the baking soda in a small bowl and add the water, mix it well together.
  • Add the baking soda with water to the batter and mix fast and well through. This will very quickly poof up the batter and make it very fluffy. Baking soda also neutralises the flavour of the acid of the sourdough as it reacts with that. 
  • Now you are ready to make your waffles with your hopefully hot waffle iron.
  • Serve with which ever toppings take your fancy.
  • The waffles freeze really well. I always put the left overs in the freezer. When someone takes a fancy for a waffle during the week they can just take one out and put it in the toaster and have a nice warm waffle.
  • Do make sure you freeze them separately as they can be a real pain to take apart when frozen onto each other. I usually take a sandwich bag and add 1 at the bottom and the other next to it towards the top, fold the bag over so that it is closed and then fold the 2 waffles on top of each other with the bag in between, that way they are easy for all to take out of the freezer and pop in the toaster right away, no need to thaw.

Possible substitutions:
dairy - coconut
butter - coconut, tallow, lard, etc.
sugar - honey, sucanat, maple syrup
chocolate - carob


No comments:

Post a Comment